Saturday, July 9, 2011

Tangy Canteen Slice

Due to our soccer clinic last week, I spent a lot of time in the kitchen preparing goodies each afternoon for the next day for our kids and coaches.  This particular slice is a heavily modified version of an old fruit slice that has been changed and changed again over the many years that I have been making it.  It was an absolute hit and I ended up making three batches for the coaches as they loved it *that* much.  

One of the Mum's commented to me that I obviously love being in the kitchen.  I didn't answer her at the time, but thought about her comment and wondered if she was having a go at me.  Anyways, the comment stuck in my head and I saw her the following day.  I told her that I didn't answer her at the time, because I really hadn't thought about it until she said it.  

After some consideration, my answer was this to her.  It's not so much that I love being in the kitchen, but that I love food.  In our family, with my hubbie the main income earner, it is my duty to provide nutritious meals for our family - it's my job as wife and Mum, it's life.  Whether it be a main meal or sweets or a savoury platter with a glass of wine and a bunch of friends, we all gotta eat, and there's nothing nicer than being surrounded by the ones you love feasting on all that is good.

I compared cooking to knitting and crochet and told her that if someone was to come into my house and tell me they were going to cook our food and sort out the whole kitchen department of our home, then I probably would introduce them to our kitchen.  On the other hand, if someone was going to take over my kitchen, would I get to choose what I would like to eat, or will that person take over all of that as well, and then maybe I might not like it oh so much after all. . . . . . . and being able to make the odd cake or slice now and then if the fancy were to take me over. . . . . .   

However, if someone was to come into our house and tell me they were going to do all my knitting and crochet, then I would make them a cup of tea, offer them a piece of slice, explain to them gently but firmly that this most certainly will not be happening, but welcome them back for more cups of tea and slice, and for them to bring their own knitting and crochet and we can create together.

So no, not overly do I love being in the kitchen, but I do prefer the kitchen to cleaning the bathrooms (der Joyce!), just not so much as I love knitting and crochet and reading a good book, and jigsaw puzzles, and cuddles and gatherings of family and friends.  

In the end, it wasn't really a 'yes' / 'no' answer, *giggle* it never is with this Libran.   Sometimes people can easily confuse me, I know, perhaps I am being too honest here, but she really did, it was more her tone of voice than her actual comment that confused me.  I did consider her comment and did not wish for her to be misled in her assumptions of me.  I just wanted her to know that I am probably your regular Mum, who loves her family and likes to provide good food for them, but in my round-a-bout explanation way.  

So how would you feel if someone were to come into your home and offer to take over your grocery shop, pantry sorting, weekly cooking and all things kitchen related at your place?  Would you hand over your spare bedroom to them and welcome them in, or would you pour them a cuppa, share your slice, and after a chat, send them on their way?  I would love to know your thoughts and why.  If you post on your own blog, please share your link and let me know in the comments, or just post in the comments.  


I am calling it 'Tangy Canteen Slice'.  I think I like that name.  

1 cup s.r. flour
 3/4 cup castor sugar
1 tsp mixed spice (optional)
1/2 cup coconut
3/4 cup sultanas
1/4 cup craisins (dried cranberries)
1/2 cup dark choc bits
2 eggs lightly beaten
90g butter, melted

ICING
2 cups icing sugar, sifted
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice, approximately
1tsp milk, approximately (optional)

**
Grease and line lamington/slice tin.
Combine first seven ingredients.
Stir in eggs and butter.
Press mixture evenly into prepared tin.
Bake in moderate oven for about 24 minutes.
Insert skewer to check slice is cooked through.
Stand approximately 10 minutes before spreading with icing.
Cool in tin before cutting.

ICING
Sift icing sugar into bowl.
Depending on level of tanginess you desire, you can leave the milk out altogether and just use the lime juice, or you can soften the tang by using milk.  It's up to you and your taste buds.  
You can use lemon instead of lime if you prefer too.

Again depending on your level of tang, you can swap the quantities of sultanas and craisins around as well, or do half of each.  It's totally up to you, the slice is yours, make it your way.  

Let me know how you like your tang and if you made this one and was it a hit at your place.  

Thanks for stopping by my place today, enjoy weekending at your place.

xx

2 comments:

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

Joyce I would welcome them with open arms. Truly I only cook and bake at times because I want to give my family home cooked meals. I would rather be doing anything else but, like you, that's my part of the deal. It's ok, but I don't love it. I'm with you on the craft thing, but if anyone wants to come and pin a few quilts for me well that would be mighty fine!

Colette said...

I love to do all the creative stuff instead of the cooking / cleaning so I too would gladly have someone take over the cooking of the meals, the savory nutritional stuff. But I love the baking parts, the sweet treats etc, so I would have to be cake lady still.

Thanks for the recipe too, sounds yummy! x